NiMH Battery Packs And Chargers are used in many large scale Industrial Applications and critical Consumer Electronics Devices that require powerful battery energy combined with superb recharge battery characteristics. There are many examples of these applications and devices namely: Redundant backup power units for large scale applications within the Telecommunications and Rail Network systems; Automotive and Vehicle Battery Power Units and on the consumer side Digital Cameras and Advanced Smart Phones.
In the early 1970's the research and development of NiMH Battery Packs and Chargers began in earnest but encountered some obstacles in its infancy due to the instability of part of it's core chemical components - Hydride. The solution to this was the development of new Hydride alloys in the mid 1980's, delivering the required stability resulting in the ongoing development of the NiMH Battery Cell, giving the mission critical improvements that NiMH Battery Packs & Chargers offers Mobile Energy Solutions today.
The latest NiMH designed solution offers up to 40% higher energy density compared to one of its main competitors the Nickel Cadmium (Ni-Cd) battery cell. Even today, there is even more potential for higher energy capacities, but unfortunately not without a few unwanted side effects. The NiMH Battery has been replacing the Ni-Cd in various markets, namely: wireless communications & mobile computing due to it being more environmentally friendly, especially when taking into account battery disposal considerations due to its mild toxin content.
Benefits of NiMH Battery Packs & Chargers:
- Between 30 and 40 % greater capacity over a standard Ni-Cd Battery Cell. The NiMH has even more potential for even higher energy densities. This will
undoubtedly be realised in the coming years.
- They are less prone to memory than the Ni-Cd. Periodic exercise cycles are required less often.
- Battery storage and transportation are simplified - transportation conditions are not subject to regulatory control.
- Green credentials. Environmentally friendly - contains mild toxins and therefore suitable for recycling.
Limitations of NiMH Battery Packs:
- Shorter service life - Degradation starts after 200 to 300 cycles.
- Limited discharge current - Repeated discharges with high load currents reduces the batterys cycle life.
- Relatively Longer Charge Period - slower recharging profile.
- High self-discharge - 50 percent higher self-discharge compared to the Ni-Cd. New chemical additives improve the self-discharge but at the expense
of lower energy density.
- High Temperature Performance degradation - Performance degrades if stored at elevated temperatures, NiMH Battery Packs should be stored in a cool place
and at a state-of-charge of about 40 %
- High maintenance - battery requires regular full discharge to prevent crystalline formation.
- Price - About 20 % more expensive than Ni-Cd.
PMBL can manufacture your Bespoke NiMH Battery Packs with cells from Varta, GP, Saft, Sanyo, Emmerich and many more.
NiMH Battery Packs & Charger Specialists
If you would like more information on PMBL's Bespoke NiMH Battery Packs Service and how it can help you develop your application or product:
Call us on 01460 66366 or email email@example.com or Click Below: