There are many advantages to using NiMh Rechargeable Batteries, especially when they're designed and manufactured by specialists specifically for your product. The best way to receive all the advantages that Nickel Metal Hydride Batteries have to offer, is by making sure that you have the right battery composition for your electronic application or product.
By talking to an experienced custom battery design company, you will have access to a large wealth of knowledge regarding battery technology. Based in the UK, PMBL are a leading Custom Battery Pack Manufacturer and have decades of experience in designing and assembling bespoke rechargeable battery packs that are specific to any requirements. Only using leading cell components in our products, Nickel Metal Hydride rechargeable battery packs are created to ensure optimal performance and lifespan - allowing you to grow in confidence in the device you are using.
As part of our initial discussions, PMBL technicians work with clients to establish exactly which battery technology is the right one for their individual requirements. From beginning to end, high levels of attention to detail and full customer support are delivered to bring the final assembled battery pack to life. Even after the purchase of a rechargeable custom made NiMH battery pack, you will still have access to ongoing support from PMBL's technicians.
Many applications can benefit from the advantages of NiMH rechargeable batteries, so what are they? Here are some of the advantages NiMH Battery Technology has to offer:
- 30 - 40 % higher capacity over a standard Ni-Cd.
- The Nickel Metal Hydride Battery has potential for yet higher energy densities.
- Less prone to memory than the Ni-Cd.
- Periodic exercise cycles are required less often.
- Simple storage and transportation - transportation conditions are not subject to regulatory control.
- Environmentally friendly - contains only mild toxins; and
- Profitable for recycling.
Unfortunately and unavoidably, there are always some limitations that should be taken into account as part of the planning process:
- Limited service life - if battery pack repeatedly deep cycled (especially at high load currents), the performance starts to deteriorate after 200-300
cycles. We recommend shallow rather than deep discharge cycles.
- Limited discharge current - although a NiMH battery is capable of delivering high discharge currents, repeated discharges with high load currents reduces
the battery's cycle life. Best results are achieved with load currents of 0.2C to 0.5C (one-fifth to one-half of the rated capacity).
- More complex charge algorithm - the Nickel Metal Hydride battery generates more heat during charge. The trickle charge is critical and must be controlled
- High self-discharge - the Nickel Metal Hydride Battery has about 50 percent higher self-discharge compared to the Ni-Cd. New chemical additives improve
the self-discharge but at the expense of lower energy density.
- Performance degrades if stored at elevated temperatures - the Nickel Metal Hydride Battery should be stored in a cool place and at a state-of-charge
of about 40 %
- High maintenance - battery requires regular full discharge to prevent crystalline formation.
- Higher cost - about 20 % more expensive than Ni-Cd.
If you would like more information on NiMh Rechargeable Batteries and how they can help you develop your application or product: