Advantages of a Custom NiMH Battery Pack
There are many advantages in having a Custom NiMh Battery Pack designed for your specific product or application. When choosing a battery design partner, especially when considering the NiMH Battery composition, it's important to select a company that can help you through all stages of product design, development, testing, production and distribution. PMBL have many years of experience in designing and assembling Custom NiMh Battery Packs plus other battery chemical compositions.
Located in Chard, in the South West UK, PMBL can provide all you need from a Custom Battery Pack Design Company. As part of our initial design discussions, we work with clients to establish exactly which Battery Technology is the right one for their needs. Frequently, this is taking the form of NiMH Batteries in one form or another. From then on, attention to detail and full customer service brings the final assembled battery pack to life. Ready for initial product testing. Many of our battery solutions require specific terminations and wrappings. The majority of these issues and requirements are identified as early as possible in the process in order that a clear set of product design and development objectives are determined.
Whenever a NiMh Battery is selected as the appropriate battery solution, here are some points to consider:
Advantages of A Custom NiMH Battery Pack:
- 30 - 40 % higher capacity over a standard Ni-Cd.
- The Nickel Metal Hydride Battery has potential for yet higher energy densities.
- Less prone to memory than the Ni-Cd.
- Periodic exercise cycles are required less often.
- Simple storage and transportation - transportation conditions are not subject to regulatory control.
- Environmentally friendly - contains only mild toxins; and
- Profitable for recycling.
There are however, some disadvantages that should also be considered:
- Limited service life - if repeatedly deep cycled, especially at high load currents, the performance starts to deteriorate after 200 to 300 cycles. Shallow rather than deep discharge cycles are preferred.
- Limited discharge current - although a Nickel Metal Hydride Battery is capable of delivering high discharge currents, repeated discharges with high load currents reduces the batterys cycle life. Best results are achieved with load currents of 0.2C to 0.5C (one-fifth to one-half of the rated capacity).
- More complex charge algorithm needed - the Nickel Metal Hydride Battery generates more heat during charge and requires a longer charge time than the Ni-Cd. The trickle charge is critical and must be controlled carefully.
- High self-discharge - the Nickel Metal Hydride Battery has about 50 percent higher self-discharge compared to the Ni-Cd. New chemical additives improve the self-discharge but at the expense of lower energy density.
- Performance degrades if stored at elevated temperatures - the Nickel Metal Hydride Battery should be stored in a cool place and at a state-of-charge of about 40 %
- High maintenance - battery requires regular full discharge to prevent crystalline formation.
- About 20 % more expensive than Ni-Cd - Nickel Metal Hydride Battery designed for high current draw are more expensive than the regular version.
If you would like more information on the Advantages of a Custom NiMH Battery Pack and how it can help you develop your application or product:
Call us on 01460 66366 or email email@example.com or Click Below: