Custom NiMH Batteries
Custom NiMH Batteries are most commonly used in the larger retail based applications such as Consumer Electronics that require advanced technology rechargeable batteries (such as Digital Cameras), Automotive and Vehicle Battery Power Units, redundant backup power units for large scale application within the Computer, Telecommunications, Heavy Industrial and Rail Network systems.
The beginning of Nikel Metal Hydride Batteries started with the research and development of the NiMH Battery System in the 1970's but almost staggered to a halt at this time due to the instability of some of it's core chemical hydride components. Laterly, the development of new, more advanced Hydride alloys in the 80's, the necessary level of stability meant that NiMH battery cell development has grown at a pace, giving the improvements that a NiMH Battery Pack offers in stability, recharge rates and energy density that we enjoy today.
The modern NiMH offers up to 40 percent higher energy density compared to its most common rival, the Ni-Cd battery cell. There is yet more potential yet higher capacities, but not without some potentially negative side effects. The NiMH has been consistently replacing the Ni-Cd Battery Cell in markets such as wireless communications and mobile computing and is more environmentally friendly, especially when considering disposal as it contains only mild toxins.
Advantages of NiMH Batteries:
- 30 - 40 % higher capacity over a standard Ni-Cd. The NiMH has potential for yet higher energy densities.
- Less prone to memory than the Ni-Cd. Periodic exercise cycles are required less often.
- Simple storage and transportation - transportation conditions are not subject to regulatory control.
- Environmentally friendly - contains only mild toxins; profitable for recycling.Limitations
Dis-Advantages of NiMH Batteries:
- Limited service life - The performance starts to deteriorate after 200 to 300 cycles.
- Limited discharge current - Repeated discharges with high load currents reduces the batterys cycle life.
- Longer Charge Period - Controlled Trickle Charge needed.
- High self-discharge - 50 percent higher self-discharge compared to the Ni-Cd. New chemical additives improve the self-discharge but at the expense of lower energy density.
- High Temperature Performance degradation - Performance degrades if stored at elevated temperatures, NiMH Battery Packs should be stored in a cool place and at a state-of-charge of about 40 %
- High maintenance - battery requires regular full discharge to prevent crystalline formation.
- Price - About 20 % more expensive than Ni-Cd.
PMBL can manufacture your Custom NiMH Batteries with cells from Varta, GP, Saft, Sanyo and many more.
Talk to PMBL for Specialist Advice on Custom NiMH Batteries
If you would like more information on PMBL's Custom NiMH Battery Packs Service and how it can help you develop your application or product:
Call us on 01460 66366 or email email@example.com or Click Below: