Advantages of a Custom Nickel Metal Hydride Battery
There are many advantages in having a Custom Designed NiMh Battery designed for your specific product or application. PMBL have many years of experience in designing and assembling NiMh Battery Packs plus other battery chemical compositions.
Located in the UK, PMBL can provide all you need for custom battery pack design. As part of our initial discussions, we work with clients to establish exactly which Battery Technology is the right one for their needs. From then on, attention to detail and full customer support brings the final assembled battery pack to life. Many of our battery solutions require specific terminations and wrapping. These issues and requirements are identified as early in the process as possible so that a clear set of objectives are established.
Should a NiMh Battery be selected as the correct solution, here are some of the advantages it has to offer:
- 30 - 40 % higher capacity over a standard Ni-Cd.
- The Nickel Metal Hydride Battery has potential for yet higher energy densities.
- Less prone to memory than the Ni-Cd.
- Periodic exercise cycles are required less often.
- Simple storage and transportation - transportation conditions are not subject to regulatory control.
- Environmentally friendly - contains only mild toxins; and
- Profitable for recycling.
There are however, some disadvantages that should also be considered:
- Limited service life - if repeatedly deep cycled, especially at high load currents, the performance starts to deteriorate after 200 to 300 cycles. Shallow rather than deep discharge cycles are preferred.
- Limited discharge current - although a Nickel Metal Hydride Battery is capable of delivering high discharge currents, repeated discharges with high load currents reduces the batterys cycle life. Best results are achieved with load currents of 0.2C to 0.5C (one-fifth to one-half of the rated capacity).
- More complex charge algorithm needed - the Nickel Metal Hydride Battery generates more heat during charge and requires a longer charge time than the Ni-Cd. The trickle charge is critical and must be controlled carefully.
- High self-discharge - the Nickel Metal Hydride Battery has about 50 percent higher self-discharge compared to the Ni-Cd. New chemical additives improve the self-discharge but at the expense of lower energy density.
- Performance degrades if stored at elevated temperatures - the Nickel Metal Hydride Battery should be stored in a cool place and at a state-of-charge of about 40 %
- High maintenance - battery requires regular full discharge to prevent crystalline formation.
- About 20 % more expensive than Ni-Cd - Nickel Metal Hydride Battery designed for high current draw are more expensive than the regular version.
If you would like more information on the Advantages of a Custom Nickel Metal Hydride Battery and how it can help you develop your application or product:
Call us on 01460 66366 or email email@example.com or Click Below: