Custom NiMH Battery Packs, are typically used in larger electronic applications
that require reliable, powerful rechargeable batteries. NiMH battery packs deliver many of the advantages of NiCd batteries (such as low cost
with a variety of dimensions) without the associated disadvantages relating to environmental concerns. Many NiCd battery applications have migrated
over to NiMH solutions and seen significant improvements, especially power capacity, which has almost doubled.
Examples of Custom NiMH Battery Packs:
Digital Cameras, Car, Van, Truck and Tractor Battery Power Units, redundant backup and emergency power units for large scale applications within the Broadcasting and Telecommunication Industry and the transport infrastructure such as the Rail Network.
Custom NiMH Battery Pack Development. The NiMH Battery System started life in the early 1970's but its progress dimmed in its early years due to the volatility of some of it's core components, mainly chemical hydride.
The 1980's saw the advancement of new Hydride alloys and the required level of stability resulted in the accelerated development of the NiMH cell, delivering the outstanding improvements that a NiMH Battery Pack enjoys in Energy Density today.
Today, the latest NiMH cells provide offers up to 40% higher energy density compared to Ni-Cd equivalent batteries. Having said that there is latent potential
for yet higher capacities, but not without some negative side effects. The NiMH has been replacing the Ni-Cd in markets such as wireless communications
and mobile computing and is more environmentally friendly, especially when considering disposal as it contains only mild toxins. NiMH cells typically
have lower cycle life and require a more sophisticated charge control than Ni-Cads. They are, however, ideally suited for many hand-held and portable
Advantages of Custom NiMH Battery packs
- 30 - 40 % higher capacity over a standard Ni-Cd. The NiMH has potential for yet higher energy densities.
- Less prone to memory than the Ni-Cd.
- Periodic exercise cycles are required less often.
- Simple storage and transportation - transportation conditions are not subject to regulatory control.
- Environmentally friendly - contains only mild toxins; profitable for recycling.
Limitations And Dis-Advantages of Custom NiMH Battery Packs
- Limited service life - The performance starts to deteriorate after 200 to 300 cycles.
- Limited discharge current - Repeated discharges with high load currents reduces the batterys cycle life.
- Longer Charge Period - Controlled Trickle Charge needed.
- High self-discharge - 50 percent higher self-discharge compared to the Ni-Cd.
- New chemical additives improve the self-discharge but at the expense of lower energy density.
- High Temperature Performance degradation - Performance degrades if stored at elevated temperatures, NiMH Battery Packs should be stored in a cool place and at a state-of-charge of about 40 %
- High maintenance - battery requires regular full discharge to prevent crystalline formation.
- Price - About 20 % more expensive than Ni-Cd.
Talk To A Custom NiMH Battery Pack Specialist
PMBL can manufacture your Custom NiMH Battery Packs with cells from Varta, GP, Saft, Sanyo, Emmerich and many more.